this arrived in the mail the other day:
and it’s the coolest thing ever for so many reasons.
(1) my niece signed her name as MMM. we (me + my family members) often use her initials when texting and emailing because it’s faster and shorter than typing her full name, but the fact she’s now using it as her signature? so cool! so grown up!
(2) the excess of O’s in the word so remind me that’s she’s 11 and i don’t have to worry about her being tooooooooooooo grown up.
(3) she finished a book in a week!
(4) her brother is bugging her to read faster so he has something to read.
(5) she lets her brother’s desires motivate and monitor her own habits, which shows what an amazing and gentle and sensitive big sister she is.
(6) they’re like me, in that, as a friend recently said about me to me, “you eat books for breakfast.”
(7) the letter was also the envelope, aka, it was a complicated and fancy folding job by MMM.
(8) handwritten thank you notes are one of my favorite things in the world (to write and to receive) and SILM and brother G have trained their kids well. in fact, i still have a postcard from when MMM was about 6 hanging on my fridge because her misspellings created the funniest note ever.
(9) i can feel the love all the way from the west coast.