Being more plugged into the KidLit community means I’ve been finding and entering all sorts of contests, but after my less than stellar results from the Fall Writing Frenzy contest (read: I didn’t win, though I did have fun writing it!), I was more cautious about posting stuff here.
The next contest I entered involved writing a story that was (1) Halloween themed, (2) under 100 words, and include the words scary, slither, and treat. Here was my entry.
How to Trick-or-Treat if You’re a Snake
by Abigail Mumford
My fellow friends with ssscales. Learn from my mistakesss.
(1) Craft costume. Ssstart with a sssock or an empty toilet paper roll.
(2) Make map. Choose houses with low doorbellsss.
(3) Ssscare people. However, if you dress like Gumby or a giraffe, the ssscreams won’t be as loud.
(4) Take treatsss. Note: if mice give you a bellyache, sssteer clear of those lollipopsss with gum in the middle.
(5) Consume candy. There’s no way to hold a bucket, ssso you must eat it immediately.
(6) Ssslither home. Don’t forget to brush your fangsss before bed!
Word count: 95
The results are finally in and – spoiler alert – I WON HONORABLE MENTION for great humor!!
Thanks to Susanna Hill and her team of judges for this honor!
4 thoughts on “Halloweensie 2022 contest”
Love this! Ssso clever!
I see what you did there. :)
Awesome, I love it! Xoxo