(1) go to a “first time home buyer’s course.”
(2) determine paltry budget.
(3) get preapproved for a mortgage.
(3) obtain real estate agent.
(4) see condos. lots and lots and lots of condos. little ones, tiny ones, medium ones, itty bitty ones.
(5) fall in love with one.
(6) make an offer.
(7) be the fourth best offer out of fourteen.
(9) go to more open houses upon open houses upon open houses.
(10) get lost driving to open houses.
(11) start to recognize neighborhoods.
(12) cringe every time someone asks how the search is going and you have nothing to report other than three failed offers.
(13) go to more open houses.
(14) receive advice from parents.
(15) narrow search.
(16) hey, how about going to some open houses?
(17) realize some sort of compromise is going to have to be made.
(18) drag feet at the thought of a compromise.
(19) expand search.
(20) go to some open houses of places you really can’t afford.
(20) make some appointments to view some condos.
(21) gather advice from friends who know more than you. drag some of said friends to open houses with you.
(22) realize you’ve totally neglected your current rental in the hopes of having a fresh, new space to call home. clean.
(23) fall further in love with current location and current neighborhood.
(24) continue to despise lackadaisical landlords and crappy, falling down apartment.
(25) curse your luck at looking for a place to buy in an assuredly seller’s market.
(26) crunch numbers again.
(27) get re-preapproved for mortgage.
(28) buy lottery ticket.
(29) go to more open houses.
(30) receive text message from your godmother who thought of you because HGTV had a boston-centric episode.