how match.com is like querying an agent:
(1) you sign up for the website (match.com/agentquery.com)
(2) you troll through the interwebs searching for the boy/agent who has similar values, sense of humor, intelligence, ambition, track record, and/or represents your genre.
(3) you craft an email/query letter.
(4) you imagine all the ways this boy/this agent will be your missing piece.
(5) you revised that email/query letter.
(6) you (might) doddle your names together/craft your acknowledgments page.
(7) you ponder possible first date/THE CALL options.
(8) you polish the email/query letter to perfection because you have one shot to make that first impression, to entice the boy/agent with your/manuscript’s witty banter.
(9) you wonder if it’s excitement, anticipation, or just heartburn.
(10) you cross your fingers and hit SEND.
(11) rinse, return to step 2, repeat.