a quintessential fall weekend:
*learning (in the form of a digital publishing seminar hosted by IPNE) — CHECK
*driving around NH to see the fall foliage — CHECK
*visiting a local farm — CHECK
lessons learned from said fall weekend:
(1) i can still manage to get lost even when i have a GPS, ALL the google maps at hand (thank you, adriana), and three different navigators. (i really wish my superhero powers were something more useful like flying or shooting fire out of my eyes.)
(2) we tried to combat my superhero powers by using different navigators. gina, front seat = we started chatting and forgot to pay attention to the signs. we had to pull a few U turns. adriana, back seat/front seat = she counted the number of blocks left until the turn. very efficient. justin, back seat = he told me the amount of time until the next turn. worked more often than not.
(3) there are sauces called MOTHER SAUCES. (no, there aren’t any daughter or son sauces. i asked.) these are the five basic (french) sauces from which every other (french) sauce is made. they are: tomato, bechamel, hollandaise, espagnole and veloute. (ok, i had to look up the last two.) (sorry, justin. i swear, i was paying attention. once i stopped giggling at the idea of mother sauces.)
(4) goats can climb up really thin ramps that lead up to a tree house. (it’s as weird to watch it happen as it is for you to read about it.)
(5) pumpkins! (i didn’t really learn anything about them, but it’s the only picture i took and look at the pretty.)
(6) cider donuts are scrumptious. (i know! and there’s no chocolate in them either.)
(7) landing in cambridge at the same time the red line goes off the rails AND the head of the charles races are done for the day AND all the cabs have gone missing is SHEER MADNESS, especially if you’re then trying to leave. (fights for cabs will ensue. justin will win.)
(8) william defoe in THE BOOKDOCK SAINTS is ridiculous. you all have to watch that movie just for him.
(9) having a plan is necessary, but when things don’t go according to it, laughing your way through it helps.
(10) taking the scenic route is worth the extra miles.
what did YOU learn this past weekend?